The DS28C40 is a secure authenticator that provides a core set of cryptographic tools derived from integrated asymmetric (ECC-P256) and symmetric (SHA-256) security functions. In addition to the security services provided by the hardware implemented crypto engines, the device integrates a FIPS/NIST true random number generator (TRNG), 6kb of one-time programmable (OTP) memory for user data, keys and certificates, one configurable GPIO, and a unique 64-bit ROM identification number (ROM ID).
The ECC public/private key capabilities operate from the NIST defined P-256 curve and include FIPS 186-4 compliant ECDSA signature generation and verification to support a bidirectional asymmetric key authentication model. The SHA-256 secret-key capabilities are compliant with FIPS 180 and are flexibly used either in conjunction with ECDSA operations or independently for multiple HMAC functions.
The GPIO pin can be operated under command control and include configurability supporting authenticated and nonauthenticated operation including an ECDSA-based crypto-robust mode to support secure boot of a host processor.
DeepCover® embedded security solutions cloak sensitive data under multiple layers of advanced security to provide the most secure key storage possible. To protect against device-level security attacks, invasive and noninvasive countermeasures are implemented including active die shield, encrypted storage of keys, and algorithmic methods.
- ECC-P256 Compute Engine
- FIPS 186 ECDSA P256 Signature Generation and Verification
- ECDH Key Exchange for Session Key Establishment
- ECDSA Authenticated R/W of Configurable Memory
- SHA-256 Compute Engine
- FIPS 198 HMAC for Bidirectional Authentication
- SHA-256 One-Time Pad Encrypted R/W of Configurable Memory Using an ECDH Established Key
- One GPIO Pin with Optional Authentication Control
- Open-Drain, 4mA/0.4V
- Optional SHA-256 or ECDSA Authenticated On/Off and State Read
- Optional ECDSA Certificate Verification to Set On/Off after Multiblock Hash for Secure Boot
- TRNG with NIST SP 800-90B Compliant Entropy Source with Function to Read Out
- Optional Chip Generated Private/Public (Pr/Pu) Key Pairs for ECC Operations
- 6Kb of One-Time Programmable (OTP) for User Data, Keys, and Certificates
- Unique and Unalterable Factory Programmed 64-Bit Identification Number (ROM ID)
- Optional Input Data Component to Crypto and Key Operations
- I2C Communication Up to 1MHz
- 3.3V ±10%, -40°C to +125°C Operating Range
- 10-Pin, 3mm x 4mm TDFN Package
- AEC-Q100 Grade 1
- Automotive Secure Authentication
- Identification and Calibration Automotive Parts/Tools/Accessories
- IoT Node Crypto-Protection
- Secure Authentication of Accessories and Peripherals
- Secure Storage of Cryptographic Keys for a Host Controller
- Secure Boot or Download of Firmware and/or System Parameters
19-100551; Rev 0; 5/19