Direct-Conversion to Low-IF Tuner for Digital Audio Broadcast
High-Performance Digital Radio Tuner Incorporates Fast and Accurate RSSI Function
DescriptionThe MAX2172 direct-conversion to low-IF tuner is designed for digital audio broadcast (DAB) and terrestrial digital multimedia broadcast (T-DMB) applications, covering an input frequency range of 168MHz to 240MHz (VHF-III), 1452MHz to 1492MHz (L-band), and also 87MHz to 108MHz (FM). The MAX2172 achieves a high level of component integration, allowing lowpower, tuner-on-board designs. The direct-conversion to low-IF architecture eliminates the need for an IF-SAW filter while providing a balanced 2.048MHz center frequency baseband output to the demodulator.
The MAX2172 provides a buffered reference clock at the crystal frequency.
A sigma-delta fractional-N synthesizer is incorporated to optimize both close-in and wideband phase noise performances for OFDM applications where sensitivity to both 1kHz phase noise and wideband phase noise related to strong adjacents can be a problem.
The MAX2172 is available in a 40-pin thin QFN package (6mm x 6mm) with an exposed pad. Electrical performance is guaranteed over the extended -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- +2.7V to +3.5V Supply Voltage Range
- Low-IF Output Eliminates IF-Saw Filter
- Integrated FM/VHF-III Bandpass Filter
- Integrated Low-IF Bandpass Filter
- Sigma-Delta Fractional-N Synthesizer
- +45dBc ACPR (N±1)
- 2.9dB Typical Noise Figure for VHF-III (Includes On-Chip Tracking Filter)
- 3.1dB Typical Noise Figure for L-Band
- VHF-III Sensitivity of -101dBm
- L-Band Sensitivity of -101dBm
- Baseband Overload Detector Controls RF AGC
- Fast Channel Scan RSSI 5-Bit Output
- FM (S+N)/N = 26dB at -111dBm
- Small 6mm x 6mm Thin QFN Package
- Fixed and Mobile Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB, DAB+) with FM
- Terrestrial Digital Multimedia Broadcast (T-DMB) with FM
|Part Number||Ref. Clock Freq.|
|IF Output Freq.|
(mm x mm)
|MAX2172||24.576||2.048||2.9||2.7 to 3.5||61|
|6.0 x 6.0|
MAX2172EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX2172
Technical DocumentsTutorial 5100 General Layout Guidelines for RF and Mixed-Signal PCBs
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- 925MHz to 2175MHz Frequency Range
- Monolithic VCO
- High Dynamic Range: -75dBm to 0dBm