125Mbps to 2.5Gbps Integrated Limiting Amplifier/Burst-Mode Laser Driver with Dual-Loop Power Control
Laser Autocalibration Mode Improves Manufacturing Quality and Reliability
DescriptionThe MAX3710 limiting amplifier and burst mode laser driver provides a highly integrated, low-cost, high-performance PMD solution for GPON/EPON ONU applications in modules or directly on the ONU board.
The low-jitter laser diode driver provides transmit burst mode average power control (APC) of laser bias current as well as an integrated modulation current control loop (extinction ratio control, or ERC). The ERC eliminates the need for temperature lookup tables (LUTs) controlling the modulation current.
The low-noise limiting amplifier maximizes optical sensitivity and has adjustable SD/LOS threshold plus programmable output levels. The differential CML output stage features a slew-rate adjustment for 1.25Gbps EPON operation. Integrated bias current monitor, burst mode Tx power monitor, and a digital laser power monitor enable a low-cost implementation of the next-generation GPON and EPON modules with digital diagnostics.
A novel auto-calibration mode enables low-cost fiber optic module production. An integrated 3-wire digital interface controls the laser driver and limiting amplifier functions, and enables communication with a low-cost controller.
The MAX3710 is offered in a small, 4mm x 4mm, 24-pin TQFN package with exposed pad, and operates over the -40°C to +95°C temperature range.
- Simplifies Module Manufacturing
- Enables Single-Temperature Module Testing
- Production Laser Auto-Calibration Mode
- Improved ONU Performance
- Integrated APC and ERC Loops
- 1.3mVP-P Receiver Sensitivity
- Separate Laser Driver Supply (Rogue ONU Shutdown)
- LVDS, LVPECL, and CML Compatible High-Speed I/Os
- Programmable I/O Polarity
- 3-Wire Digital Interface
- Safety and Reliability
- Integrated Safety Features with FAULT Mask Register
- Supports SFP MSA and SFF-8472 Digital Diagnostic
- Selectable Analog Monitor of Laser Power or BIAS Current at BMON Pin
- BOSA On-Board
- GPON/EPON ONU
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|