Gigabit Multimedia Serial Link Serializer with LVDS System Interface
Single-Link Serializer with LVDS Interface and Integrated Control Channel Is Ideal for Digital Video Applications
DescriptionThe MAX9249 serializer with LVDS system interface utilizes Maxim's Gigabit multimedia serial link (GMSL) technology. The MAX9249 serializer pairs with any GMSL deserializer to form a complete digital serial link for joint transmission of high-speed video, audio, and control data.
The MAX9249 allows a maximum serial payload data rate of 2.5Gbps for a 15m shielded twisted-pair (STP) cable. The serializer operates up to a maximum clock rate of 104MHz (3-channel LVDS) or 78MHz (4-channel LVDS). This serial link supports display panels from QVGA (320 x 240) to WXGA (1280 x 800) and higher with 24-bit color.
The 3-channel mode handles three lanes of LVDS data (21 bits), UART control signals, and three audio signals. The 4-channel mode handles four lanes of LVDS data (28 bits), UART control signals, three audio signals, and/or up to three auxiliary parallel inputs. The three audio inputs form a standard I²S interface, supporting sample rates from 8kHz to 192kHz and audio word lengths of 4 to 32 bits. The embedded control channel forms a full-duplex, differential, 100kbps to 1Mbps UART link between the serializer and deserializer. The electronic control unit (ECU), or microcontroller (µC), can be located on the MAX9249 side of the link (typical for video display), on the deserializer side of the link (typical for image sensing), or on both sides. In addition, the control channel enables ECU/µC control of peripherals on the remote side, such as backlight control, grayscale Gamma correction, camera module, and touch screen. Base-mode communication with peripherals uses either I²C or the GMSL UART format. A bypass mode enables full-duplex communication using custom UART formats.
The MAX9249 serializer driver preemphasis, along with the channel equalizer on the GMSL deserializer, extends the link length and enhances the link reliability. Spread spectrum is available on the MAX9249 to reduce EMI on the serial link and the parallel output of the GMSL deserializer. The serial output complies with ISO 10605 and IEC 61000-4-2 ESD protection standards.
The core supply for the MAX9249 is 1.8V. The I/O supply ranges from 1.8V to 3.3V. The MAX9249 is available in a 48-pin TQFP package (7mm x 7mm) with an exposed pad. Electrical performance is guaranteed over the -40°C to +105°C automotive temperature range.
- Pairs with Any GMSL Deserializer
- 2.5Gbps Payload Rate AC-Coupled Serial Link with 8B/10B Line Coding
- Supports Up to WXGA (1280 x 800) with 24-Bit Color
- 8.33MHz to 104MHz (3-Channel LVDS) or 6.25MHz to 78MHz (4-Channel LVDS) Input Clock
- 4-Bit to 32-Bit Word Length, 8kHz to 192kHz I²S Audio Channel Supports High-Definition Audio
- Embedded Half-/Full-Duplex Bidirectional Control Channel (100kbps to 1Mbps)
- Interrupt Supports Touch-Screen Functions for Display Panels
- Remote-End I²C Master for Peripherals
- Preemphasis Line Driver
- Programmable Spread Spectrum on the Serial Outputs for Reduced EMI
- Automatic Data-Rate Detection Allows "On-the-Fly" Data-Rate Change
- Input Clock PLL Jitter Attenuator
- Built-In PRBS Generator for BER Testing of the Serial Link
- Line-Fault Detector Detects Serial Link Shorts to Ground, Battery, or Open Link
- ISO 10605 and IEC 61000-4-2 ESD Protection
- -40°C to +105°C Operating Temperature Range
- 1.8V to 3.3V I/O, 1.8V Core, and 3.3V LVDS Supplies
- Patent Pending
- High-Resolution Automotive Navigation
- Megapixel Camera Systems
- Rear-Seat Infotainment
|Part Number||Signal Type||Signal Type||Functions||Rx||Tx||Data Rates|
|See All High-Speed Interconnect (Differential Signaling) (124)|
| Pricing Notes: |
This pricing is BUDGETARY, for comparing similar parts. Prices are in U.S. dollars and subject to change. Quantity pricing may vary substantially and international prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees, and exchange rates. For volume-specific and version-specific prices and delivery, please see the price and availability page or contact an authorized distributor.
MAX9249EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX9249
Technical DocumentsApp Note 5535 FAQs about the Control Channel and Operation of Serializer/Deserializer Devices
App Note 5141 An Improved and Simple Cable Simulation Model
App Note 5064 Access 16-Bit I²C Peripheral Register Addresses Through the GMSL SerDes Remote-Side I²C Interface
Quality and Environmental DataProduct Reliability Reports: MAX9249.pdf
Lead-Free Package Tin (Sn) Whisker Reports
Tools & Models
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C|
|App Note||5535||FAQs about the Control Channel and Operation of Serializer/Deserializer Devices|
|App Note||5141||An Improved and Simple Cable Simulation Model|
|App Note||5064||Access 16-Bit I²C Peripheral Register Addresses Through the GMSL SerDes Remote-Side I²C Interface|