Low-Power, Serial, 14-Bit DACs with Force-Sense Voltage-Output
Best 14-Bit DACs Minimize Power-Up Glitch and Have 1LSB INL
DescriptionThe MAX5171/MAX5173 low-power, serial, voltage-output, 14-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) feature a precision output amplifier in a space-saving 16-pin QSOP package. The MAX5171 operates from a +5V single supply, and the MAX5173 operates from a +3V single supply. The output amplifier's inverting input is available to allow specific gain configurations, remote sensing, and high output current capability. This makes the MAX5171/ MAX5173 ideal for a wide range of applications, including industrial process control. Both devices draw only 260µA of supply current, which reduces to 1µA in shutdown mode. In addition, the programmable power-up reset feature allows for a user-selectable output voltage of either 0 or midscale.
The 3-wire serial interface is compatible with SPI™, QSPI™, and MICROWIRE™ standards. An input register followed by a DAC register provides a double-buffered input, allowing the input and DAC registers to be updated independently or simultaneously with a 16-bit serial word. Additional features include software and hardware shutdown, shutdown lockout, a hardware clear pin, and a reference input capable of accepting DC and offset AC signals. These devices provide a programmable digital output pin for added functionality and a serial-data output pin for daisy-chaining. All logic inputs are TTL/CMOS-compatible and are internally buffered with Schmitt triggers to allow direct interfacing to optocouplers.
The MAX5171/MAX5173 incorporate a proprietary on-chip circuit that keeps the output voltage virtually "glitch free," limiting the glitches to a few millivolts during power-up. Both devices are available in 16-pin QSOP packages and are specified for the extended (-40°C to +85°C) temperature range. The MAX5171/MAX5173 are pin-compatible upgrades to the 12-bit MAX5175/MAX5177. For 100% pin-compatible DACs with an internal reference, see the 13-bit MAX5132/MAX5133 and the 12-bit MAX5122/MAX5123 data sheets.
- ±1 LSB INL
- 1µA Shutdown Current
- "Glitch Free" Output Voltage at Power-Up
- Single-Supply Operation:
- +5V (MAX5171)
- +3V (MAX5173)
- Full-Scale Output Range:
- +2.048V (MAX5173, VREF = +1.25V)
- +4.096V (MAX5171, VREF = +2.5V )
- Rail-to-Rail Output Amplifier
- Low THD (-80dB) in Multiplying Operation
- SPI/QSPI/MICROWIRE-Compatible 3-Wire Serial Interface
- Programmable Shutdown Mode and Power-Up Reset
- Buffered Output Capable of Driving 5kΩ || 100pF Loads
- User-Programmable Digital Output Pin Allows Serial Control of External Components
- Pin-Compatible Upgrade to the 12-Bit MAX5175/MAX5177
- µP-Controlled Systems
- Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- Digital Gain and Offset Control
- Digitally Programmable 4mA–20mA Current Loops
- Industrial Process Controls
- Motion Control
- Remote Industrial Controls
Technical DocumentsApp Note 4491 Damage from a Lightning Bolt or a Spark—It Depends on How Tall You Are!
App Note 4490 How Signal Chains and PLCs Impact Our Lives
App Note 807 Force/Sense DAC Applications
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|