12-Bit, 95Msps, 3.3V ADC
DescriptionThe MAX19538 is a 3.3V, 12-bit, 95Msps analog-to-digital converter (ADC) featuring a fully differential wideband track-and-hold (T/H) input amplifier, driving a low-noise internal quantizer. The analog input accepts single-ended or differential signals. The MAX19538 is optimized for low power, small size, and high dynamic performance. Excellent dynamic performance is maintained from baseband to input frequencies of 175MHz and beyond, making the MAX19538 ideal for intermediate frequency (IF) sampling applications.
Powered from a single 3.3V supply, the MAX19538 consumes only 492mW while delivering a typical 68.4dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) performance at a 175MHz input frequency. In addition to low operating power, the MAX19538 features a 63µW power-down mode to conserve power during idle periods.
A flexible reference structure allows the MAX19538 to use the internal 2.048V bandgap reference or accept an externally applied reference. The reference structure allows the full-scale analog input range to be adjusted from ±0.35V to ±1.10V. The MAX19538 provides a common-mode reference to simplify design and reduce external component count in differential analog input circuits.
The MAX19538 supports either a single-ended or differential input clock drive. The internal clock duty-cycle equalizer accepts a wide range of clock duty cycles.
Analog-to-digital conversion results are available through a 12-bit, parallel, CMOS-compatible output bus. The digital output format is pin selectable to be either two's complement or Gray code. A data-valid indicator eliminates external components that are normally required for reliable digital interfacing. A separate digital power input accepts a wide 1.7V to 3.6V supply allowing the MAX19538 to interface with various logic levels.
The MAX19538 is available in a 6mm x 6mm x 0.8mm, 40-pin thin QFN package with exposed paddle (EP), and is specified for the extended industrial (-40°C to +85°C) temperature range.
See a parametric table of the complete family of pin-compatible, 12-/14-bit high-speed ADCs.
- Direct IF Sampling Up to 400MHz
- Excellent Dynamic Performance
- 70.9dB/68.4dB SNR at fIN = 3MHz/175MHz
- 89.0dBc/76.2dBc SFDR at fIN = 3MHz/175MHz
- -71.5dBFS Small-Signal Noise Floor
- 3.3V Low-Power Operation
- 465mW (Single-Ended Clock Mode)
- 492mW (Differential Clock Mode)
- 63µW (Power-Down Mode)
- Fully Differential or Single-Ended Analog Input
- Adjustable Full-Scale Analog Input Range: ±0.35V to ±1.10V
- Common-Mode Reference
- CMOS-Compatible Outputs in Two's Complement or Gray Code
- Data-Valid Indicator Simplifies Digital Design
- Data Out-of-Range Indicator
- Miniature 6mm x 6mm x 0.8mm 40-Pin Thin QFN Package with Exposed Paddle
- Evaluation Kit Available (Order MAX1211EVKIT)
- Cellular, Point-to-Point Microwave, HFC
- IF and Baseband Communication Receivers: Cellular, Point-to-Point Microwave, HFC, WLAN
- Low-Power Data Acquisition
- Medical Imaging Including Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
- Portable Instrumentation
- Video Imaging
|Part Number||Input Chan.||Resolution|
|Data Bus Interface||Package/Pins||Budgetary|
|max ≥||@ fIN||min||typ||See Notes|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|