3.5- and 4.5-Digit, Single-Chip ADCs with LED Drivers
DescriptionThe MAX1447/MAX1496/MAX1498 low-power, 3.5- and 4.5-digit, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) with integrated light-emitting diode (LED) drivers operate from a single 2.7V to 5.25V power supply. They include an internal reference, a high-accuracy on-chip oscillator, and a multiplexed LED display driver. An internal charge pump generates the negative supply needed to power the integrated input buffers for single-supply operation. The ADC is configurable for either a ±2V or ±200mV input range and it outputs its conversion results to an LED. The MAX1496 is a 3.5-digit (±1999 count) device and the MAX1447/MAX1498 are 4.5-digit (±19,999 count) devices.
The MAX1447/MAX1496/MAX1498 do not require external precision integrating capacitors, autozero capacitors, crystal oscillators, charge pumps, or other circuitry required with dual-slope ADCs (commonly used in panel meter circuits).
These devices also feature on-chip buffers for the differential signal and reference input, allowing direct interface with high-impedance signal sources. In addition, they use continuous internal offset-calibration and offer >100dB rejection of 50Hz and 60Hz line noise. Other features include data hold and peak detection and overrange/underrange detection. The MAX1447 features on-demand enhanced offset calibration for improved offset performance.
The MAX1447/MAX1498 are available in a 32-pin, 7mm x 7mm TQFP package and the MAX1496 is available in 28-pin SSOP and 28-pin PDIP packages. All devices in this family operate over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.
- High Resolution
- MAX1447/MAX1498: 4.5 Digits (±19,999 Count)
- MAX1496: 3.5 Digits (±1999 Count)
- Sigma-Delta ADC Architecture
- No Integrating Capacitors Required
- No Autozeroing Capacitors Required
- >100dB of Simultaneous 50Hz and 60Hz Rejection
- Selectable Input Range of ±200mV or ±2V
- Selectable Voltage Reference: Internal 2.048V or External
- Internal High-Accuracy Oscillator Needs No External Components
- Automatic Offset Calibration
- On-Demand Enhanced Offset Calibration (MAX1447)
- Operate from a Single 2.7V to 5.25V Supply
- Low Power (Exclude LED-Driver Current)
- Maximum 744µA Operating Current (MAX1496)
- Maximum 960µA Operating Current (MAX1447/MAX1498)
- Maximum 325µA Shutdown Current
- Multiplexed Common-Cathode LED Drivers
- Resistor-Programmable Segment Current
- Small 32-Pin, 7mm x 7mm TQFP Package (4.5 Digits), 28-Pin SSOP Package (3.5 Digits)
- Also Available in a PDIP Package (3.5 Digits)
- Digital Multimeters
- Digital Panel Meters
- Digital Voltmeters
- Handheld meters
|Data Bus||Diff/S.E. Input||Internal VREF|
|See All Display-Oriented ADCs (27)|
| Pricing Notes: |
This pricing is BUDGETARY, for comparing similar parts. Prices are in U.S. dollars and subject to change. Quantity pricing may vary substantially and international prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees, and exchange rates. For volume-specific and version-specific prices and delivery, please see the price and availability page or contact an authorized distributor.
Technical DocumentsApp Note 3635 Implementing an External Reference and the Resulting Effect on Gain for the MAX149x Sigma-Delta Panel-Meter ADCs
App Note 3418 Understanding the Effects of Clock Tolerances on 50/60Hz Noise Rejection in High Performance Sigma Delta ADCs
Tutorial 2102 Delta-Sigma ADCs Replace Integrating ADCs for Panel Meters
Quality and Environmental DataRequest Reliability Report for: MAX1496
Lead-Free Package Tin (Sn) Whisker Reports
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C|