1.8V, 12-Bit, 210Msps ADC for Broadband Applications
DescriptionThe MAX1214 is a monolithic, 12-bit, 210Msps analog-to-digital converter (ADC) optimized for outstanding dynamic performance at high-IF frequencies up to 300MHz. The product operates with conversion rates up to 210Msps while consuming only 820mW.
At 210Msps and an input frequency up to 250MHz, the MAX1214 achieves a spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR) of 77.2dBc. Its excellent signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 66dB at 10MHz remains flat (within 2dB) for input tones up to 300MHz. This ADC yields an excellent low noise floor of -67.6dBFS, which makes it ideal for wideband applications such as cable-head end receivers and power-amplifier predistortion in cellular base-station transceivers.
The MAX1214 requires a single 1.8V supply. The analog input is designed for either differential or single-ended operation and can be AC- or DC-coupled. The ADC also features a selectable on-chip divide-by-2 clock circuit, which allows the user to apply clock frequencies as high as 340MHz. This helps to reduce the phase noise of the input clock source. A low-voltage differential signal (LVDS) sampling clock is recommended for best performance. The converter's digital outputs are LVDS compatible and the data format can be selected to be either two's complement or offset binary.
The MAX1214 is available in a 68-pin QFN package with exposed paddle (EP) and is specified over the industrial (-40°C to +85°C) temperature range.
New Unbuffered Version Available with Higher Dynamic Performance (MAX1214N)
See a parametric table of the complete family of pin-compatible, 8-/10-/12-bit high-speed ADCs.
- 210Msps Conversion Rate
- Low Noise Floor of -67.6dBFS
- Excellent Low-Noise Characteristics
- SNR = 65.6dB at fIN = 100MHz
- SNR = 65dB at fIN = 250MHz
- Excellent Dynamic Range
- SFDR = 74.2dBc at fIN = 100MHz
- SFDR = 77.2dBc at fIN = 250MHz
- 59.5dB NPR for fNOTCH = 28.8MHz and a Noise Bandwidth of 50MHz
- Single 1.8V Supply
- 820mW Power Dissipation at fSAMPLE = 210MHz and fIN = 100MHz
- On-Chip Track-and-Hold Amplifier
- Internal 1.23V-Bandgap Reference
- On-Chip Selectable Divide-by-2 Clock Input
- LVDS Digital Outputs with Data Clock Output
- MAX1214 EV Kit Available
- Base-Station Power-Amplifier Linearization
- Cable-Head End Receivers
- Communications Test Equipment
- Radar and Satellite Subsystems
- Wireless and Wired Broadband Communication
Technical DocumentsTutorial 4993 Reduce the Chances of Human Error: Part 2, Super Amps and Filters for Analog Interface
App Note 3716 Folded-Frequency Calculator
App Note 3557 "Stitch" Your Way Out of Logic-Analyzer Memory Limitations
Additional ResourcesEvaluation Kit: MAX1214EVKIT
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
|Tutorial||4993||Reduce the Chances of Human Error: Part 2, Super Amps and Filters for Analog Interface|
|App Note||3716||Folded-Frequency Calculator|
|App Note||3557||"Stitch" Your Way Out of Logic-Analyzer Memory Limitations|