12-Bit, 80Msps, 3.3V IF-Sampling ADC
DescriptionThe MAX1209 is a 3.3V, 12-bit, 80Msps analog-to-digital converter (ADC) featuring a fully differential wideband track-and-hold (T/H) input amplifier, driving a low-noise internal quantizer. The analog input stage accepts single-ended or differential signals. The MAX1209 is optimized for low power, small size, and high dynamic performance. Excellent dynamic performance is maintained from baseband to input frequencies of 175MHz and beyond, making the MAX1209 ideal for intermediate-frequency (IF) sampling applications.
Powered from a single 3.0V to 3.6V supply, the MAX1209 consumes only 393mW while delivering a typical signal-to-noise (SNR) performance of 66.5dB at an input frequency of 175MHz. In addition to low operating power, the MAX1209 features a 3µW power-down mode to conserve power during idle periods.
A flexible reference structure allows the MAX1209 to use the internal 2.048V bandgap reference or accept an externally applied reference. The reference structure allows the full-scale analog input range to be adjusted from ±0.35V to ±1.15V. The MAX1209 provides a common-mode reference to simplify design and reduce external component count in differential analog input circuits. The MAX1209 supports both a single-ended and differential input clock drive. Wide variations in the clock duty cycle are compensated with the ADC's internal duty-cycle equalizer (DCE).
ADC conversion results are available through a 12-bit, parallel, CMOS-compatible output bus. The digital output format is pin selectable to be either two's complement or Gray code. A data-valid indicator eliminates external components that are normally required for reliable digital interfacing. A separate digital power input accepts a wide 1.7V to 3.6V supply, allowing the MAX1209 to interface with various logic levels.
The MAX1209 is available in a 6mm x 6mm x 0.8mm, 40-pin thin QFN package with exposed paddle (EP), and is specified for the extended industrial (-40°C to +85°C) temperature range.
See a parametric table of the complete family of pin-compatible, 12-/14-bit high-speed ADCs.
- Direct IF Sampling Up to 400MHz
- Excellent Dynamic Performance
- 68.0dB/66.5dB SNR at fIN = 70MHz/175MHz
- 85.1dBc/85.5dBc SFDR at fIN = 70MHz/175MHz
- 3.3V Low-Power Operation
- 366mW (Single-Ended Clock Mode)
- 393mW (Differential Clock Mode)
- 3µW (Power-Down Mode)
- Differential or Single-Ended Clock
- Fully Differential or Single-Ended Analog Input
- Adjustable Full-Scale Analog Input Range: ±0.35V to ±1.15V
- Common-Mode Reference
- CMOS-Compatible Outputs in Two's Complement or Gray Code
- Data-Valid Indicator Simplifies Digital Design
- Data Out-of-Range Indicator
- Miniature, 40-Pin Thin QFN Package with Exposed Paddle
- Evaluation Kit Available (Order MAX1211EVKIT)
- IF Communication Receivers: Cellular, Point-to-Point Microwave, HFC, WLAN
- Low-Power Data Acquisition
- Portable Instrumentation
- Ultrasound and Medical Imaging
MAX1211EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX1211, MAX1206, MAX1207, MAX1208, MAX1209, and MAX19538
Technical DocumentsTutorial 1819 Selecting the Optimum Test Tones and Test Equipment for Successful High-Speed ADC Sinewave Testing
Tutorial 1040 Coherent Sampling vs. Window Sampling
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|