PIXI, 12-Port Programmable Mixed-Signal I/O with 12-Bit ADC, 12-Bit DAC, Analog Switches, and GPIO
Industry's First Configurable High-Voltage Mixed Signal I/O Allows User-Defined ADC, DAC, or GPIO Functionality
The MAX11312 integrates a PIXI™, 12-bit, multichannel, analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and a 12-bit, multichannel, buffered digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in a single integrated circuit. This device offers 12 mixed-signal high-voltage, bipolar ports, which are configurable as an ADC analog input, a DAC analog output, a general purpose input (GPI), a general-purpose output (GPO), or an analog switch terminal. One internal and two external temperature sensors track junction and environmental temperature. Adjacent pairs of ports are configurable as a logic-level translator for open-drain devices or an analog switch.
PIXI ports provide highly flexible hardware configuration for 12-bit mixed-signal applications. The MAX11312 is best suited for applications that demand a mixture of analog and digital functions. Each port is individually configurable with up to four selectable voltage ranges within the -10V to +10V range.
The device allows for the averaging of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 ADC samples from each ADC-configured port to improve noise performance. A DAC-configured output port can drive up to 25mA. The GPIO ports can be programmed to user-defined logic levels, and a GPI coupled with a GPO forms a logic-level translator.
Internal and external temperature measurements monitor programmable conditions of minimum and maximum temperature limits, using the interrupt to notify the host if one or more conditions occur. The temperature measurement results are made available through the serial interface.
The device features an internal, low-noise 2.5V voltage reference and provides the option to use external voltage references with separate inputs for the DAC and ADC. The MAX11312 uses a 400kHz I²C-compatible serial interface, operating from a 5V analog supply and a 1.8V to 5.0V digital supply. The PIXI port supply voltages operate from a wide -12.0V to +12.0V.
The MAX11312 is available in a 32-pin TQFN, 5mm x 5mm package specified over the -40°C to +105°C temperature range.
- 12 Configurable Mixed-Signal Ports Maximize Design Flexibility Across Platforms
- Up to 12 12-Bit ADC Inputs
- Single-Ended, Differential, or Pseudo-Differential
- Range Options: 0 to 2.5V, ±5V, 0 to +10V, -10V to 0V
- Programmable Sample Averaging Per ADC Port
- Unique Voltage Reference for Each ADC PIXI Port
- Up to 12 12-Bit DAC Outputs
- Range Options: ±5V, 0 to +10V, -10V to 0V
- 25mA Current Drive Capability with Overcurrent Protection
- Up to 12 General-Purpose Digital I/Os
- 0 to +5V GPI Input Range
- 0 to +2.5V GPI Programmable Threshold Range
- 0 to +10V GPO Programmable Output Range
- Logic-Level-Shifting Between Any Two Pins
- 60Ω Analog Switch Between Adjacent PIXI Ports
- Internal/External Temperature Sensors, ±1°C Accuracy
- Up to 12 12-Bit ADC Inputs
- Adapts to Specific Application Requirements and Allows for Easy Reconfiguration as System Needs Change
- Configurability of Functions Enables Optimized PCB Layout
- Reduces BOM Cost with Fewer Components in a Small Footprint
- 25mm2 32-Pin TQFN
- Base-Station RF Power Device Bias Controllers
- Control for Optical Components
- Industrial Control and Automation
- Power-Supply Monitoring
- System Supervision and Control
|Input Chan.||Conv. Rate|
|ADC Architecture||Data Bus||Diff/S.E. Input||Internal VREF|
|MAX11312||12||12||Voltage- Buffered||Int./Ext.||1.5||Serial - I2C||4.75||5.25||18||40|
Technical DocumentsUser Guide 6487 MAX11300 (PIXI) Programmable Mixed-Signal I/O Device Applications Tutorial
App Note 6311 Using the MAX11311 Internal and External Temperature Sensor to Activate Motors and Fans
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
|User Guide||6487||MAX11300 (PIXI) Programmable Mixed-Signal I/O Device Applications Tutorial|
|App Note||6311||Using the MAX11311 Internal and External Temperature Sensor to Activate Motors and Fans|