Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 1.5Gsps Conversion Rate
- 2.2GHz Full-Power Analog Input Bandwidth
- 7.5 Effective Bits at fIN = 750MHz (Nyquist Frequency)
- ±0.25 LSB INL and DNL
- 50Ω Differential Analog Inputs
- ±250mV Input Signal Range
- On-Chip, +2.5V Precision Bandgap Voltage Reference
- Latched, Differential PECL Digital Outputs
- Selectable 8:16 Demultiplexer
- Internal Demux Reset Input with Reset Output
- 192-Contact ESBGA Package
- Pin Compatible with MAX104 (1Gsps) and MAX106 (600Msps)
- Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- Digital Oscilloscopes
- Digital RF/IF Signal Processing
- Direct RF Downconversion
- High-Energy Physics
- High-Speed Data Acquisition
- Radar/ECM Systems
The innovative design of the internal T/H, which has an exceptionally wide 2.2GHz full-power input bandwidth, results in high performance (typically 7.5 effective bits) at the Nyquist frequency. A fully differential comparator design and decoding circuitry reduce out-of-sequence code errors (thermometer bubbles or sparkle codes) and provide excellent metastable performance. Unlike other ultra high-speed ADCs that can have errors resulting in false full- or zero-scale outputs, the MAX108 limits the error magnitude to 1 LSB.
The analog input is designed for either differential or single-ended use with a ±250mV input voltage range. Dual, differential, positive-referenced emitter-coupled logic (PECL)-compatible output data paths ensure easy interfacing and include an 8:16 demultiplexer feature that reduces output data rates to one-half the sampling clock rate. The PECL outputs can be operated from any supply between +3V to +5V for compatibility with +3.3V or +5V referenced systems. Control inputs are provided for interleaving additional MAX108 devices to increase the effective system sampling rate.
The MAX108 is packaged in a 25mm x 25mm, 192-contact Enhanced Super Ball-Grid Array (ESBGA™) and is specified over the commercial (0°C to +70°C) temperature range. For pin-compatible, lower speed versions of the MAX108, see the MAX104 (1Gsps) and the MAX106 (600Msps) data sheets.