16-Channel, High-Performance, Low-Power, Fully-Integrated Ultrasound Receiver with T/R Switch
Industry's highest level of integration and performance combined with lowest power
The MAX2084 is a highly integrated 16-channel ultrasound receiver optimized for high channel count, high performance portable and cart-based ultrasound systems.
Each channel of this highly compact receiver includes LNA, VGA, AAF, ADC, and several digital post processing circuits (including a digital HPF). It achieves an ultra-low 2.4dB noise figure at RS = RIN = 200Ω at a low 143mW per channel power dissipation when sampling at 50msps. Additionally, there is a lower power mode of operation that achieves 100mW per channel, but with reduced AC performance. The receive channel has been optimized for second harmonic imaging with -70dBFS second harmonic distortion performance at FIN = 5MHz over the full TGC range. Dynamic range has also been optimized for exceptional pulsed and color flow Doppler performance under high clutter conditions. The full receive channel exhibits an outstanding 81dBFS SNR at 5MHz with a 2MHz bandwidth. The bipolar front end and CMOS ADC have also been optimized for an exceptionally low, near-carrier modulation noise of -141dBc/Hz at 1kHz; offset from a 5MHz tone for excellent low-velocity Doppler sensitivity.
The device also includes a 16-channel CWD beamformer for a full Doppler solution. Separate mixers for each channel are made available for optimal CWD sensitivity, yielding an impressive 157dBc/Hz dynamic range per channel at 1kHz offset from a 2MHz carrier.
Furthermore, the MAX2084 also contains several digital post-processing options associated with digital mix-to-baseband operation. The device contains a 96dB SNR NCO, with a programmable frequency range from 800kHz to 17.6MHz with < 1kHz resolution. There is also a demodulation circuit, followed by a decimating FIR filter that can be programmed for different decimation ratios, where M can be programmed at any integer between 2 to 32. A 16xM tap low-pass FIR decimation filter is also provided. A post-decimation filter digital gain adjustment is also available.
When mixed-to-baseband is used, it is possible to reduce the number of LVDS output lanes required (from 20 pairs to 12 pairs) if decimation rates are ≥ 4.
The MAX2084 is offered in a 17mm x 16mm BGA package with 0.8mm ball pitch, and is specified over a 0°C to +85°C temperature range.
- 16 Full Channels of TR-Switch, Input Coupling Caps, LNA, VGA, AAF, CWD Mixers, 14-bit ADC, Bypassable Digital HPF, and Digital Mix to Baseband.
- Ultra-Low Full-Channel Receiver Noise Figure of 2.4dB at RIN = RS = 200Ω.
- High Dynamic Range Receiver with 81dBFS SNR at FIN = 5MHz and 2MHz Bandwidth.
- Low-Power (167mW per Channel) Receiver (Includes TR Switch, LNA, VGA, AAF, and ADC) Normal Imaging Mode at 65Msps at Full Performance, and a 100mW per Channel Ultra-Low Power Mode.
- Selectable Active Input Impedance LNA with 50, 100, 200, and 400 Input Selections (LNA Gain = 18dB); Along with an Open Feedback Loop Option with ~3kΩ Input Impedance at 2MHz and 1.2kΩ at 5MHz
- Integrated Analog High-Pass Filter, Selectable 3 Pole 10MHz, 15MHz, 20MHz, and 30MHz Butterworth Anti-Alias Filter and a Bypassable Programmable Digital High-Pass Filter.
- Fully Integrated High-Performance CWD Beam-Former with Separate I and Q Mixers for Improved Dynamic Range (157dBc/Hz Dynamic Range per Channel at 1kHz from a 2MHz Carrier) and Sensitivity.
- Bypassable Demodulator Has 96dB SNR NCO, 16 x M Tap Polyphase Decimation Filter with Programmable Decimation Between 2 ≤ M ≤ 32
- Echocardiograph Systems
- Medium and High-Performance Cart-Based Ultrasound Systems
- Medium and High-Performance Portable Ultrasound Systems
- Real-Time 4D Ultrasound Systems
- Shear Wave Elastography Systems
|Gain Control Range|
|Active Input Impedence|
|0 to +85||$168.00 @1k|
MAX2084EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX2084
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Complete Dual-Channel Optical Data-Acquisition System
- Excellent Top-End Dynamic Range > 91dB in White Card Loop-Back Test (Nyquist Sample-to-Sample Variance)
- Extended Dynamic Range up to 110dB (Averaging and Off-Chip Filtering)