Stereo Class D Audio Subsystem with DirectDrive Headphone Amplifier
Industry's Smallest Size, Highest D-Class Output Power and Best-in-Class RF Susceptibility (TDMA Noise Free)
DescriptionThe MAX9879 combines a high-efficiency stereo Class D audio power amplifier with a stereo capacitor-less DirectDrive® headphone amplifier. Maxim's filterless class D amplifiers with active emissions limiting technology provide Class AB performance with Class D efficiency.
The Class D power amplifier delivers up to 715mW from a 3.7V supply into an 8Ω load with 88% efficiency to extend battery life. The filterless modulation scheme combined with active emission limiting circuitry and spread-spectrum modulation greatly reduces EMI while eliminating the need for output filtering used in traditional Class D devices.
The headphone amplifier delivers up to 58mW from a 3.7V supply into a 16Ω load. Maxim's DirectDrive architecture produces a ground-referenced output from a single supply, eliminating the need for large DC-blocking capacitors, saving cost, space, and component height.
The device utilizes a user-defined input architecture, three preamplifier gain settings, an input mixer, volume control, comprehensive click-and-pop suppression, and I²C control. A bypass mode feature disables the integrated Class D amplifier and utilizes an internal DPST switch to allow an external amplifier to drive the speaker that is connected at the outputs of the MAX9879.
The MAX9879 is available in a thermally efficient, space-saving 30-bump UCSP™ package.
- Better than 9dB Margin Under EN 55022 Class B Limits with No Filter Components
- Low RF Susceptibility Design Rejects TDMA Noise from GSM Radios
- Input Mixer with User Defined Input Mode
- Stereo 715mW Speaker Output (RL = 8Ω, VDD = 3.7V)
- Stereo 58mW Headphone Output (16Ω, VDD = 3.7V)
- Low 0.04% THD+N at 1kHz (Class D Power Amplifier)
- Low 0.018% THD+N at 1kHz (Headphone Amplifier)
- 88% Efficiency (RL = 8Ω, POUT = 750mW)
- 1.6Ω Analog Switch for Speaker Amplifier Bypass
- High Speaker Amplifier PSRR (72dB at 217Hz)
- High Headphone Amplifier PSRR (84dB at 217Hz)
- I²C Control
- Hardware and Software Shutdown Mode
- Ultra-Low Click and Pop
- Robust Design with Current and Thermal Protection
- Available in Space-Saving Package
- 5x6 UCSP (2.5mm x 3mm)
- Cell Phones
- Portable Multimedia Players
|Part Number||Functions||Class||Spkr. Amp. VCC|
|Spkr. Amp. VCC|
|Spkr. Amp. ICC|
|Spkr. Amp. POUT|
|Spkr. Amp. Half Pwr. THD+N|
|Hdph. Amp. VCC|
|Hdph. Amp. VCC|
|Hdph. Amp. ICC|
|Hdph. Amp. POUT into 32Ω|
|Hdph. Amp. Half Pwr. THD+N|
|min||max||typ||min||max||typ||@ 1% THD+N||See Notes|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Wide Input Supply Range (3.0V to 14V)
- Class-DG Operation Enables Industry Leading Quiescent Power
- Ultra-Low Noise Floor