Boosted Class-D Amplifier with Integrated Dynamic Speaker Management
Unleash the Potential of Your Microspeakers—2.5x the Loudness and Deeper Bass with Industry Leading Power Consumption
The MAX98390 is a high-efficiency mono Class-D DSM smart amplifier that features an integrated boost converter, integrated Dynamic Speaker Management™, and FET scaling for higher-efficiency at low output power.
The maximum boost converter output voltage is programmable from 6.5V to 10V in 0.125V increments from a battery voltage as low as 2.65V. The boost converter supports bypass mode for lower quiescent current and improved mid-power efficiency as well as envelope tracking which automatically adjusts the output voltage for maximum efficiency. The boosted supply efficiently delivers up to 6.2W at 10% THD+N into a 4Ω load.
Integrated IV sense and Dynamic Speaker Management allows louder, fuller audio while protecting the speaker against damage and improving sound quality.
The PCM interface supports I2S, left-justified, and 16-channel TDM formats as a slave or master device with I2C control. Either BCLK or MCLK can be used as the internal clock source providing system level flexibility.
Thermal and other status data can also be read from the I2C interface.
Patented active emissions limiting edge rate and overshoot control circuitry minimizes EMI and eliminates the need for output filtering found in traditional Class-D devices.
A flexible brownout-detection engine (BDE) can be programmed to initiate various current limiting, signal limiting, and clip functions to prevent dips in battery voltage. Threshold, hysteresis, and attack-and-release rates are programmable.
The MAX98390C is available in a 0.4mm pitch, 36-bump wafer-level package. The MAX98390D is available in a 0.5mm pitch, 30-bump wafer-level package. They are specified over the extended -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Integrated Speaker Current and Voltage Sense Requires no External Components
- Integrated Programmable 10V Boost Converter
- Bypass Mode
- Envelope Tracking
- Integrated Dynamic Speaker Management
- Thermal Protection
- Excursion Protection
- Low-Frequency Extension
- 8-Band Parametric Equalizer
- Dynamic Range Compression
- Perceptual Power Reduction
- Stereo Bass Management
- Ultra-Low Noise Floor
- 10µV Output Noise
- 116dB Dynamic Range
- Low Distortion—0.01% THD+N
- Output Power at 1% THD+N, VVBAT = 4.3V
- 5.1W into 8Ω
- 5.1W into 4Ω
- Output Power at 10% THD+N, VVBAT = 4.3V
- 6.2W into 8Ω
- 6.2W into 4Ω
- System Efficiency
- 82% at 1.2W into 8Ω, VVBAT = 3.7V
- 86% at 0.45W into 8Ω, VVBAT = 3.7V
- Dynamic Speaker Output FET Scaling
- 2.65V to 5.5V Battery Voltage Range
- I2S/16-Channel TDM and I2C Interfaces
- Class-D Edge Rate Control Enables Filterless Operation
- Advanced Brownout-Protection Engine
- Extensive Click-and-Pop Suppression
- Robust Short-Circuit and Thermal Protection
- Space-Saving, 30-Bump WLP Package (2.468mm x 2.968mm, 0.5mm Pitch) or 36-Bump WLP Package (2.418mm x 2.608mm, 0.4mm Pitch)
- Notebook Computers
- Single Li-ion Cell Devices
- IoT Devices
MAX98390EVSYS: Evaluation System for the MAX98390
Related VideosWhy Are DSM Smart Amplifiers Valuable?
What is DSM and How Does It Work?
Micro Speaker 101
Is DSM a Fit for My System?
What is the Speaker Laser Characterization Process?
What is Speaker Laser Characterization and Why Do I Need It?
Essential Analog Toolkit: Audio Amplifiers
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|