Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Single-Supply Operation (2.5V to 5.5V)
- 3.2W Output Power into 4Ω at 5V
- 2.4mA Quiescent Current
- 92% Efficiency (RL = 8Ω, POUT = 900mW, VDD = 3.7V)
- 25µVRMS Output Noise (AV = 15dB)
- Low 0.013% THD+N at 1kHz
- No MCLK Required
- Sample Rates of 8kHz to 96kHz
- Supports Left, Right, or Left/2 + Right/2 Outputs
- Sophisticated Edge Rate Control Enables Filterless Class D Outputs
- 77dB PSRR at 217Hz
- Low RF Susceptibility Rejects TDMA Noise from GSM Radios
- Extensive Click-and-Pop Reduction Circuitry
- Robust Short-Circuit and Thermal Protection
- Available in Space-Saving Package: 1.345mm x 1.435mm WLP (0.4mm Pitch)
- Cellular Phones
- Notebook Computers
- Portable Media Players
View a video that highlights the features of the MAX98355/6.
The digital audio interface is highly flexible with the MAX98355A supporting I2S data and the MAX98355B supporting left-justified data. Both ICs support time division multiplexed (TDM) data. The digital audio interface accepts sample rates ranging from 8kHz to 96kHz for all supported data formats. The ICs can be configured to produce a left channel, right channel, or left/2 + right/2 output from the stereo input data. The ICs operate using 16/24/32-bit data for I2S and left justified modes as well as 16-bit data with up to four slots when using TDM mode. The ICs eliminate the need for the external MCLK signal that is typically used for PCM communication. This reduces EMI and possible board coupling issues in addition to reducing the size and pin count of the ICs.
The ICs also feature a very high wideband jitter tolerance (12ns typ) on BCLK and LRCLK to provide robust operation.
Active emissions-limiting, edge-rate limiting, and overshoot control circuitry greatly reduce EMI. A filterless spread-spectrum modulation scheme eliminates the need for output filtering found in traditional Class D devices and reduces the component count of the solution.
The ICs are available in a 9-pin WLP package (1.345mm x 1.435mm x 0.64mm) and are specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.