Low-Power Headset Detectors with SEND/END Button Support
Versatile Jack Detection and Control with High-Performance MIC Bias and Ultra-Low-Power Mode
DescriptionThe MAX14627/MAX14628 provide a simple solution for detecting the insertion and managing the operation of a 3.5mm stereo headset with a microphone. These devices integrate all circuitry needed to detect SEND/END button press events and generate required microphone bias voltages, and are fully compatible with Windows® Mobile 7.
The devices need only three GPIOs from the host controller to select between call mode and standby mode, and monitor the SEND/END and jack insertion status. In call mode, the low-noise LDO is enabled to provide DC bias to the externally preamplified microphone. In standby mode, microphone low-power pulsing is enabled to reduce supply current while waiting for a SEND/END button press event. Two open-drain outputs signal the host controller when an insertion/removal or SEND/END button press event occurs. If a 3P headset without a microphone is inserted, the low-power pulsing can be disabled by setting the MODE input to high impedance.
The MAX14627 operates from a 2.5V to 5.5V input voltage supply and features an internal 2.2V LDO output, while the MAX14628 operates from a 3.1V to 5.5V voltage supply and features an internal 2.8V LDO output voltage. Both devices control jack insertion detection by monitoring a 3.5mm socket with a normally open jack insertion switch. Additionally, the MAX14628 features open microphone detection.
The MAX14627/MAX14628 are available in an 8-pin TDFN package, and are fully specified over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.
- Versatile Jack Detection and Control
- MODE Three-State Microphone Bias Control
- MIC Switch Ground Detection (MAX14627)
- MIC Switch Open and Ground Detection (MAX14628)
- Compatible with Windows Mobile 7 and Google Android
- Microphone Button Press Detection
- High-Performance MIC Bias and Power Savings
- No Pop-Up Noises
- Ultra-Low Noise, High-PSRR MIC Bias
- Low-Power MIC Idle Mode
- Automatic Ultra-Low-Power Mode When Microphone Is Disabled
- PCB Space and Cost Savings
- Integrated ±15kV ESD Protection (HBM) on DETIN and MIC Input Terminals
- Small 8-Pin (2mm x 2mm) TDFN Package
- Cell Phones
- Portable Media Players
- Tablet/Laptop PCs
|Low-Noise LDO Output|
|MIC Switch Detection||Control Inputs||Supply Current for MIC Detection|
|Pop-Up Noise Elimination||ESD Protection||Package/Pins||Oper. Temp.|
|MAX14628||3.1 to 5.5||2.8||Open and Ground||MIC Mode||1.9||Plug-in and Plug-out||15kV HBM on MIC and DETIN|
|-40 to +85||$0.73 @1k|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Wide Input Supply Range (3.0V to 14V)
- Class-DG Operation Enables Industry Leading Quiescent Power
- Ultra-Low Noise Floor