4-Decade Current Sense Amplifier with Integrated Current Sense Element
Industry's Widest Dynamic Range Current Sense Amplifier
The MAX40016 is a very wide range current sense amplifier (CSA) with internal sense element that senses from less than 300µA to greater than 3A current range. The 4-decade sensed current functions with 1% (typical) gain error and offers three, multiplexed programmable output ranges in order to interface with 12-bit ADCs. Having an integrated sense element has the extra advantage that the entire current measuring path can be factory-trimmed, saving the user from having to calibrate independent sense resistors and CSAs. The MAX40016 (WLP package) drops a typical of 60mV at 3A from the voltage input to load output .
The MAX40016's integrated current-sensing element saves the space and cost of an external high-power, precision current sense resistor. The MAX40016 is offered in an ultra-tiny, 1.98mm x 1.31mm, 15-bump waferlevel package (WLP), further reducing board space. The MAX40016 is also available in a 4mm x 4mm 16-pin TQFN package.
The MAX40016 operates with a supply voltage from 2.5V to 5.5V. The device features a low-power mode in which the current-sensing element remains on, but the outputs are turned off to reduce the total supply current below 10µA (max).
The MAX40016 also includes a committed on-board amplifier with an internal gain of 1.5V/V. The MAX40016 operates over the -40°C to +125°C temperature range.
- Integrated Current Sense Element Saves The Space and Cost of Expensive Precision Sense Resistors
- 4-Decade Measurement Range
- Maintains Accuracy from < 300µA to> 3A
- Withstands Overloads to 4A
- Low Voltage Drop Across Sense Element
- 60mV (Active Mode, 3A Load, WLP Package)
- 35mV (Low Power Mode, 3A Load, WLP Package)
- Three Multiplexed Scaling Resistor Outputs Allow Full Dynamic Range while Interfaced to 12-bit ADCs
- +2.5V to +5.5V Input Supply Voltage Range
- Low Power Mode Reduces Supply Current to 10μA Max
- Tiny 1.98mm x 1.3mm, 15-Bump, WLP
- 4mm x 4mm 16-Pin TQFN
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- Mobile Devices
- Portable Instruments
- RF Power Monitoring
|Part Number||Output Format||CMVR|
|Bi-Dir. Curr. Sense||Gain||BW|
|min||max||min||max||typ||@ -3dB||See Notes|
|MAX40016||Voltage||2.5||5.5||2.5||5.5||800||No||1.5V/V||1000||0||-40 to +125|
|See All Current Sense Amplifiers (53)|
| Pricing Notes: |
This pricing is BUDGETARY, for comparing similar parts. Prices are in U.S. dollars and subject to change. Quantity pricing may vary substantially and international prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees, and exchange rates. For volume-specific and version-specific prices and delivery, please see the price and availability page or contact an authorized distributor.
MAX40016EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX40016
Technical DocumentsApp Note 6565 Current Sensing Devices Used in Battery Management of Portable Applications
App Note 6560 Using Maxim ADCs to Measure the Current on the MAX40016
Quality and Environmental DataRequest Reliability Report for: MAX40016
Lead-Free Package Tin (Sn) Whisker Reports
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C|
- Delivers +68dBmV Output Power While Meeting DOCSIS 3.1 Requirements
- Covers 5MHz–204MHz Output Bandwidth
- Dual Outputs Eliminates Need for an External RF Switch