Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 16 Constant-Current Output Channels (Up to 55mA Each)
- ±3% Current Matching Among Outputs
- Paralleling Channels Allows Higher Current per LED String
- Outputs Rated for 36V Continuous Voltage
- Output-Enable Pin for PWM Dimming (Up to 30kHz)
- One Resistor Sets LED Current for All Channels
- Wide Dimming Ratio Up to 5000:1
- Low Current-Sense Reference (300mV) for High Efficiency
- 8V to 26.5V Input Voltage or Higher with External Biasing Devices
- 4-Wire Serial Interface to Control Individual Output Channels
- LCD White or RGB LED Backlighting:
- LCD TVs, Desktop, and Notebook Panels
- Industrial and Medical Displays
- Ambient, Mood, and Accent Lighting
The MAX16809 LED driver includes 16 open-drain, constant-current-sinking LED driver outputs rated for 36V continuous operation. The LED current-control circuitry achieves ±3% current matching among strings and enables paralleling of outputs for LED string currents higher than 55mA. The output-enable pin is used for simultaneous PWM dimming of all output channels. Dimming frequency range is 50Hz to 30kHz and dimming ratio is up to 5000:1. The constant-current outputs are single resistor programmable and the LED current can be adjusted up to 55mA per output channel.
The MAX16809 operates either in stand-alone mode or with a microcontroller (µC) using an industry-standard, 4-wire serial interface.
The MAX16809 includes overtemperature protection, operates over the full -40°C to +125°C temperature range, and is available in a 5mm x 7mm thermally enhanced, 38-pin TQFN exposed paddle package.