Evaluating the DS28E05
|Table 1. Required Hardware for PC Evaluation|
|1||DS9120P+ EV board with RJ11 cable|
|1||DS9481R-3C7+ 1-Wire USB adapter with cable*|
|1||DS28E05+ in a TSOC package|
Figure 1. The DS9120P EV board with RJ11 cable.
Figure 2. The DS9481R-3C7 1-Wire USB adapter with cable.
Driver Installation Quick Start
- Before beginning, make sure the following equipment is available:
- DS9481R-3C7 1-Wire adapter with USB cable
- DS9120P EV board with RJ11 cable
- DS28E05 in a TSOC package
- PC with a Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP operating system and a spare USB port
- Do the following before connecting to the PC:
- Insert the DS28E05 in the TSOC socket on the DS9120P EV board.
- Connect the EV board to the DS9481R-3C7 1-Wire adapter with the RJ11 cable.
- Wait to insert the DS9481R-3C7 into the PC until prompted by the software installation.
- Follow the steps below to install the PL-2303 Prolific Driver (for the DS9481R-3C7). Many Microsoft® operating systems have a version of the PL-2303 Prolific Driver preloaded. Plugging in the device for the first time often completes the installation. If the Microsoft operating system in question cannot install the device driver, then do the following:
- Unplug the DS9481R-3C7.
- Download the Prolific Driver.
- Unzip the archive and Run the executable file that begins with “PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller”.
- Follow the directions of the Install Wizard until the PL-2303 USB-to-serial driver install is finished. Close by clicking the Finish button.
- Follow the steps below to install the 1-Wire Drivers software package. For expanded installation details, see tutorial 4373, “OneWireViewer and iButton Quick Start Guide”.
- Download the 1-Wire Drivers software package.
- When prompted with the question Do you want to run or save this file?, select Run.
- When you get a security warning that reads Do you want to run the software?, select Run.
- Read and check the box if you accept the license agreement. Click Install.
- Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.
- Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 is required for the program to run. To check whether it is installed, look in the Control Panel under Add/Remove Software. If .NET is not listed, it is not installed. Download and installation instructions, go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569264.aspx.
- Insert the DS9481R-3C7 into a spare USB port on the computer.
Software Quick Start
- After downloading the software from the URLs listed above in the Driver Installation Quick Start section and unzipping the files into a folder, start the EV kit software by double-clicking the file DS28E05_Evaluation_Program.exe. Note: Make sure that the hardware has been correctly connected.
- Software quick setup
- In the 1-Wire Adapter group box on the Setup tab, the Adapter Port Type is fixed at USB (COM) with the Adapter Part # of DS9481R-3C7. The Adapter Port is a COM port mapped by the Prolific device. Click on Open Adapter/Port or use the Auto-Search button. If successful, the Status field next to the Open Adapter/Port button displays Success.
- The device selection options are displayed in the Device Selection Methods group box in the Setup tab.
- The default setting for the EV kit software is Match-ROM in the ROM Selection Method drop-down list. Also, the Use Search-ROM to find first available EVKit device is checked by default. Leave these default selections for quick setup.
- Once the adapter/port has successfully been opened, the Device Selection drop-down list is automatically populated with the unique ROM ID of the available DS28E05s. If no device is found on the 1-Wire, the selection is blank. In that case, insert the device and click the Refresh Selection button. A device must be present in order to proceed to the Memory tab to exercise the device.
- Once the device has been selected, click on the Memory tab. Select the memory range in the Memory Resource Selection drop-down list.
- Once a memory range has been selected, the available commands appear in the Commands group box below the Memory Resource Selection. The commands appear as buttons.
- Select a command by clicking on one of the command buttons. The button is highlighted in yellow to indicate which command is selected.
- Once a command has been selected, the Options group box below the command buttons is displayed with the required options for the command. Select the options and click the Execute Command button to execute the selected command with the options provided.
- The output of the selected command is displayed in the Log group box in a scrollable field. The Key describing the output in the log is provided at the bottom of the Log group box. The window can be resized or maximized to enlarge the Log group box.
- The log can be copied to the clipboard through the FileCopy Log to Clipboard menu item. The log can be cleared through the FileClear Log menu item.
- The program can be ended through the FileExit menu item.
Detailed Description of Software
Figure 3. The DS28E05 EV kit software: main window Setup tab.
Device Selection Methods
Figure 4. The DS28E05 EV kit software: main window Memory tab.
Memory Resource Selection
Figure 5. The Read Memory command Options.
Figure 6. The Write Memory command Options for general-purpose writing.
Figure 7. The Write Memory command Options for Write Protect and EPROM Emulation Mode.
|Table 2. Log Key|
|RP||1-Wire reset and presence pulse response. Color-coded blue for the reset pulse and red for the response.|
|RN||1-Wire reset and no presence pulse response. Color-coded blue for the reset pulse and red for the response.|
|<SP_ON>/<SP_OFF>||1-Wire strong pullup on/1-Wire strong pullup off. Strong pullup is used to provide additional current to the device during operations such as EEPROM write.|
|HH - write to device||1-Wire write from master to device represented by a pair of hex digits showing the byte that was transmitted. Valid for a line that does not begin with a comment symbol “//”. Color-coded blue.|
|[HH] - read to device||1-Wire read from device represented by a pair of hex digits bounded by brackets “[ ]” showing the byte that was received. Valid for a line that does not begin with a comment symbol “//”. Color-coded red.|
|B||1-Wire write bit from master to device represented by a single binary digit (1/0). Valid for a line that does not begin with a comment symbol “//”. Color-coded blue.|
|[B]||1-Wire read bit from master to device represented by a single binary digit (1/0) bounded by brackets “[ ]” showing the bit that was received. Valid for a line that does not begin with a comment symbol “//”. Color-coded red.|
|<<>>||Indicates an error with the error message between the “<< >>”. Color-coded purple.|
|<STD>/<OVR>||Indicates 1-Wire line speed: <STD> for standard and <OVR> for overdrive. This symbol is logged before every 1-Wire reset pulse and when the speed changes as in an Overdrive Match command. Color-coded blue.|
|// line comment||Indicates a line that is not 1-Wire communication, but is instead commentary on the operation performed. Color-coded black.|
Raw 1-Wire Tab
Figure 8. The DS28E05 EV Kit software: main window Raw 1-Wire tab.
- The 7V VCC Pulse (100ms) button enables a 7V pulse on the PULSE pin of the DS9481R-3C7. This is not necessary to evaluate the DS28E05.
- The 12V 1-Wire Pulse button enables a 512µs pulse on the 1-Wire to support EPROM programming. A warning message displays before the operation completes. Do not use this feature when evaluating DS28E05 as it could result in damage to the DS28E05.