How to Update the Firmware in the MAXQ Serial-to-JTAG Board
Figure 1. The MAXQ serial-to-JTAG board.
There are two things required to update the firmware on the JTAG board.
- The Microcontroller Tool Kit (MTK), Maxim's universal programming software which supports both 8051 and MAXQ microcontrollers.
- A copy of the JTAG board's firmware. The most recent firmware can always be found packaged with the latest version of the MAX-IDE for MAXQ microcontrollers. Although MAX-IDE is not required to install the firmware, it still must be installed to extract the firmware from the setup file. Once you install MAX-IDE, you can find the JTAG firmware (jtag.hex) in the
C:\Program Files\MAX-IDE\Devices\MaxQ\JTAGFirmwaredirectory. MAX-IDE can be downloaded (ZIP).
- Connect a serial cable from the PC's serial port to the JTAG board and power up the board. The JTAG board requires a 5V ±5% DC-regulated power supply. Ensure that the connection cable, P2, is disconnected from the JTAG board and the target MAXQ board. The DS1 LED of the JTAG board should turn on when power is applied.
- Make sure that the jumpers, JH1 and JH2, on the JTAG board are closed.
- Start MTK and select DS89C430 in the "Select device" screen.
- Select "Configure Serial Port" in the "Option" menu, and choose the desired serial port and baud rate. Because the DS89C430's boot loader automatically detects the baud rate of the PC side, and because the on-board crystal is 7.37MHz, the maximum baud rate which can be selected is 38400BPS.
- Select "Open COMx at 38400 baud" in the "Target" menu. (COMx is the serial port you selected earlier.) Choose "Connect to Loader." You should then see the welcome screen below. (Notice that the DS1 on the JTAG board will turn off while you are connected to the loader.)
- Select "Load Flash" in "File" menu, and browse to the folder where the JTAG firmware is located. If you plan to use the firmware that comes with MAX-IDE, you will find it in the
- Select jtag.hex. MTK will automatically begin downloading the firmware into the DS89C430 microcontroller. Once the download completes, you will see output similar to the following.
- Select "Close COMx" in the "Target" menu to close the serial port. The DS1 LED on JTAG board will then turn on again.