MAX3701: Interfacing the MAX3701 to a Blue/Violet Laser Diode [Application Brief]
Figure 1. Optical output of a blue/violet laser driven by the MAX3701.
Background and PurposeOptical measurements of the MAX3701 driving a blue/violet laser diode were performed prior to the release of the MAX3701 in October of 2003. These measurements verified that the MAX3701 is capable of driving the blue/violet laser with rise/fall times of ≤1ns and overshoot <9% as shown in Figure 1.
This Application Brief is an outline of the detailed information that can be found in the complete version of HFDN (High Frequency Design Note) 28.0. HFDN-28.0 explains in detail how optical measurements were performed, and provides guidelines for interfacing the MAX3701 with the blue/violet laser.
The complete version of HFDN-28.0 can be obtained by request from the following link: MAX3701 datasheet.
Optical Evaluation Printed Circuit Board
- Materials and layout of the MAX3701 optical evaluation board
- Schematic diagram of the laser interface
- Connections and geometry of transmission lines
Optical Test Equipment
- Optical test equipment setup
- Mounting information, including thermal heat sink
- Fiber optic patch cable alignment
- Optical-to-electrical converter
- Oscilloscope-recorded waveforms of blue/violet laser driver optical output
- Parasitic elements
- Reducing overshoot and ringing on rising and falling edges
- Minimizing inductance
Decreasing the Rise/Fall Time
- Optical rise and fall times limitations
- Analysis and performance relationships