Description of what each option of the reference design contains.
MPOS-STD2-REF#: MPOS Standard II Reference Design that contains all the design files, software and reports. Does not include physical hardware.
MPOS-STD2-PRO#: MPOS Standard II Prototype that is a working prototype with casing of the full MPOS. Does not include design files, software and reports.
MPOS-STD2-KIT#: MPOS Standard II Evaluation Kit is an development kit based upon the MPOS-STD2 reference design. Does not include design files, software and reports.
ARM is a registered trademark of ARM Limited.
Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
Cortex is a registered trademark of ARM Limited.
MPOS-STD2 is a complete Mobile POS reference platform that embeds a color TFT display, keypad, mag stripe reader, smartcard reader, Bluetooth®, contactless interface, and LiPo rechargeable battery. The device is a complete MPOS-in-a-box solution that has been pre-evaluated by security labs for compliance with PCI-PTS 4.0 standards. It is a full turnkey solution that comes with an extensive hardware and software bundle that includes all the pieces required to successfully modify, adapt, build, program, certify, and manufacture a Mobile POS terminal and thus, in large quantities.
The MPOS-STD2 reference design is based on the MAX32550 Secure Flash-based Cortex® M3 microcontroller that embeds most of the peripherals and analog interfaces required to operate a Mobile POS with a limited number of external components.
A block diagram of the system is shown in Figure 1.
- 320 x 320 graphical color TFT display
- 12-key patented secure keypad
- 2-track magnetic card reader
- EMV-L1 smartcard reader
- Contactless reader
- USB full-speed device port
- Bluetooth® 4.0 controller
- Secure Flash-based Cortex M3 microcontroller
- Rechargeable lithium polymer battery
- Lithium backup battery
- -10°C to +40°C operating range
- -40°C to +85°C storage range
- Support and certification assistance
Designed, Built, Tested
Board pictured here has been fully assembled and tested.
Detailed Description of the Reference Design
- MAX32550 Secure Microcontroller:
- 108MHz 32-bit ARM® Cortex M3 core with MPU
- 256KB of SRAM
- 1MB of Flash
- 64KB of ROM
- 4KB of OTP
- 8KB of encryptable NVSRAM
- External memory (optional):
- 1MB external SPI flash (optional)
- User Interface:
- 320 x 240 dots graphic color TFT with backlight
- 12-key patented secure keypad
- Magnetic Card Reader:
- 2-tracks magnetic card reader
- Smartcard Reader:
- EMV Level 1 4.2, ISO7816, 3V/1.8V/5V support, T=0 and T=1 protocols
- Contactless Reader:
- NXP CLRC633 interface
- USB device from MAX32550
- Bluetooth 4.0, PAN1026 complete certified module
- Operating temperature range from -10°C to +40°C
- Storage temperature range from -40°C to +85°C
- 121mm x 75mm x 17.25mm (L x W x H)
- 3.7V/230mAh Lithium Polymer rechargeable through USB
- 125mAh MNO2 battery backup
- MAX8934 USB charger
- MAX8625 step-up/down converter
- MAX1723 step-up DC-DC converter for 5V smart cards
- ESD protection
- 2 x MAX13204 ESD protections on USB and magnetic head
|Full BSP package|
|Documentation||Schematic and hardware|
|PCI-PTS 4.0 evaluation report|
|Development environment user guide|
|Evaluation kit user guide|
|Schematic & PCB||Schematics|
|Pick and place|
|Mechanical design||2D design files|
|3D design files|
|Hardware||MPOS-STD2 prototype unit|
|MPOS-STD2 evaluation kit|
Order NowMPOS-STD2: Turnkey PCI-PTS Mobile POS (MPOS) Terminal
|Part Number||Buy from Maxim or Third Party|
Maxim Devices (5)
|Part Number||Name||Product Family||Order||Design kits and evaluation modules|
|MAX32550||DeepCover Secure Arm Cortex-M3 Flash Microcontroller||MCU - Microcontroller||Buy Now||Design Kits|
|MAX8934A||Dual-Input Linear Chargers, Smart Power Selector with Advanced Battery Temperature Monitoring||Battery Management||Buy Now||Design Kits|
|MAX8625||High-Efficiency, Seamless Transition, Step-Up/Down DC-DC Converter||Switching Regulator - Switching Regulators||Buy Now||Design Kits|
|MAX1723||1.5µA IQ, Step-Up DC-DC Converters in TSOT and µDFN||Switching Regulator - Switching Regulators||Buy Now||Design Kits|
|MAX13204E||2-/4-/6-/8-Channel ±30kV ESD Protectors in µDFN||ESD-Protection Diodes||Buy Now||Not Available|