Maxim Integrated Enables OMRON to Extend its NXR-Series IO-Link Product Line with I/O Hub Solutions for Industry 4.0
OMRON expands digital IO capabilities for its NXR-Series by adopting Maxim Integrated’s IO-Link products
San Jose, CA and Tokyo, Japan—Feb. 17, 2021—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) announced that its dual IO-Link® products have been adopted by OMRON Corporation for the company’s NXR-Series IO-Link Controller and IO-Link I/O hubs, expanding its IO-Link bi-directional controller and digital IO capabilities. NXR-Series give OMROM customers a new way to add IOs to factory automation systems and bring intelligence to the edge of their manufacturing lines, using Maxim Integrated’s MAX14819A dual IO-Link controller and MAX14827A IO-Link device, as well as MAX14912 and MAX14915 digital output devices. OMRON’s innovative NXR-Series allow continuous diagnostics and monitoring of the health and status of manufacturing equipment at OMRON’s customers' production sites.
- Details about Maxim Integrated’s IO-Link solutions ›
- Details about Maxim Integrated’s IO-Link transceivers ›
- Order MAX14819A or learn more ›
- Order MAX14827A or learn more ›
- Order MAX14912 or learn more ›
- Order MAX14915 or learn more ›
- Hi-res image ›
IO-Link’s bi-directional links bring intelligence to sensors and actuators and drive smarter manufacturing by enabling equipment to adapt to product changes on-the-fly and make decisions in real time. Maxim Integrated’s IO-Link technology, combined with its portfolio of extensive software-configurable digital output products, provides OMRON with new opportunities for IO-Link I/O hub solutions. OMRON’s use of IO-Link will also help accelerate the adoption of this standard in the industry.
OMRON is adding the first remote digital output IO-Link I/O hub (NXR-CD166C-IL2 module) to its offerings, extending the use of IO-Link beyond the sensor world. The company is addressing the dual problems caused by customers’ chronic shortage of manufacturing-line engineers: reducing manufacturing line downtime and improving the efficiency of commissioning new equipment. OMRON analyzed unnecessary and inefficient work in production processes and developed the NXR Series that comes equipped with various functions to save time. The company has achieved a 90 percent reduction in setup and commissioning times by using the new NXR IO-Link controller (NXR-ILM08C-EIT) and IO-Link I/O hub (NXR-D166C-IL2). In addition, these new NXR series of IO-Link controller and I/O hub products reduce downtime by leveraging the smart diagnostics capability to gather real-time operational information across the manufacturing line. The devices are also built for reliability with inherent wire-break diagnostic and robust protection technologies.
- “With Maxim Integrated’s solutions, we have accomplished a new way to add additional digital IOs into the network so we can further drive intelligence to the edge,” said Haedon Lee, product manager for Network & IO Product Management Group, Controller Business Unit at OMRON.
- “By extending the use of IO-Link technology with our digital IO and analog IO industrial chipsets, we are enabling OMRON to provide a simple way of expanding the number of digital IO channels, opening a new capability for reconfiguring the manufacturing line,” said Jeff DeAngelis, vice president, Industrial Communications for Industrial and Healthcare Business Unit at Maxim Integrated.
IO-Link is the first standardized IO technology worldwide (IEC 61131-9) for communication with sensors and actuators. The powerful point-to-point communication is based on the long established 3-wire sensor and actuator connection using existing cables.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated, an engineer’s engineering company, exists to solve the designer’s toughest problems in order to empower design innovation. Our broad portfolio of high-performance semiconductors, combined with world-class tools and support, delivers essential analog solutions including efficient power, precision measurement, reliable connectivity and robust protection along with intelligent processing. Designers in application areas such as automotive, communications, consumer, data center, healthcare, industrial and IoT trust Maxim to help them quickly develop smaller, smarter and more secure designs. Learn more ›