Maxim Works with Qualcomm Automotive Solutions on Infotainment Applications for the Smart, Connected Car
Maxim’s power management, USB charging, next-generation GMSL SerDes, remote tuner, and SDR technology are featured along with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Automotive Platform
San Jose, CA—July 10, 2018—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that select products from its portfolio work with solutions with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, to help carmakers and tier-1 suppliers integrate Maxim's Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) solutions using the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 820 Automotive Platform for infotainment applications. Maxim’s high-performance solutions are designed to provide the necessary building blocks for next-generation vehicles.
Maxim’s advanced ASIL-rated power management, USB charging, next-generation gigabit multimedia serial link (GMSL) serializer and deserializer (SerDes), remote tuner, and software-defined radio (SDR) technologies are optimized to work with the Snapdragon 820 Automotive Platform. As a result, automakers can now achieve a scalable, comprehensive development platform while also addressing needs of high-performance automotive infotainment systems.
The Snapdragon 820 Automotive Platform is an advanced automotive-grade solution that is custom-built with highly optimized cores designed for heterogeneous computing. It runs on Qualcomm Technologies' custom-built 64-bit Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU, Qualcomm® Adreno™ GPU, and Qualcomm® Hexagon™ DSP. The Snapdragon 820 Automotive Platform is also designed to allow the infotainment system to receive software updates, allowing vehicles to be upgraded with the latest features and differentiation.
Key advantages provided by Maxim's technology
- Power Management: Provides voltage and power monitoring needed to manage the power at the point of load in each device, which becomes necessary as increasing numbers of control modules, sensors, and actuators are distributed throughout the vehicle
- USB Ports Support: Fast-charge detection supports both hi-speed (480Mbps) and full-speed (12Mbps) USB operation, allowing consumers to recharge their USB devices while driving; Includes short-to-battery and short-to-ground protection
- Next-Generation GMSL SerDes: Supports the high data rate, complex interconnect, and data integrity requirements of future automotive infotainment applications
- Remote Tuner and SDR: Architecture simplifies head unit design while improving radio signal quality and reducing cost, weight, and power consumption
- "The Snapdragon 820 Automotive Platform was designed to offer automakers a solution that supports a superior and fast connected experience that consumers expect today," said Nakul Duggal, vice president of product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. "To have our solutions optimized to work with Maxim’s products is a testament to our commitment to continue offering leading solutions for our customers—both in feature-rich technologies and safety advances."
- "As the automotive industry continues to see unparalleled growth, it is more important than ever to provide a breadth of tools that can support advanced infotainment functions,” said Randall Wollschlager, vice president of the Automotive Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. “By including our leading-edge technologies in Qualcomm Technologies’ powerful automotive development platform, we are well-positioned to deliver cutting-edge features to drive the industry forward."
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer, and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more ›
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Adreno, Kryo and Hexagon are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries.
Qualcomm Snapdragon, Qualcomm Adreno, Qualcomm Hexagon and Qualcomm Kryo are products of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries