Maxim's LED Matrix Manager Empowers High-Density Automotive Matrix and Pixel Lighting
MAX20092 offers industry's lowest MOSFET drain-source resistance and reduces thermal issues, complexity and design costs
SAN JOSE, Calif.—Oct. 10, 2018—Designers of high-performance automotive matrix lighting and adaptive driving beam light-emitting diode (LED) applications can now migrate to higher current devices while reducing design size and improving flexibility with the MAX20092 12-switch matrix manager from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). The IC minimizes thermal issues associated with LED matrix lighting applications by offering the industry's lowest internal MOSFET drain-source resistance (RDS_ON), which is 65 percent lower than the closest competitive solution.
- Details about Maxim's automotive lighting ›
- Details about MAX20092 ›
- Details about MAX20096 ›
- Details about MAX20097 ›
- Hi-res image ›
Safety and brand differentiation are two of the leading factors driving greater adoption of LEDs in automotive front-lighting platforms, which are growing at 30 percent per year, according to Strategy Analytics, Inc. As part of their distinctive brand identities, OEMs are designing in advanced safety features such as glare-free high beams along with LED and matrix lighting. However, LED lighting designers are challenged with increasing power, thermal, and design complexities.
The MAX20092 provides flexible current management for matrix and pixel lighting. Twelve integrated switches control LEDs in string voltages up to 56V, saving design time and reducing complexity. Its integrated MOSFET on resistance (RDS_ON) of 70 mohm is the lowest in the industry—comfortably driving LED currents up to 1.5A. Maxim’s 12-switch LED matrix manager is offered in a small 5mm x 5mm TQFN package. Additionally, Maxim today introduced MAX20096 and MAX20097 dual-channel, synchronous buck high-brightness LED controllers to work with the MAX20092, helping designers improve transient response times in LED lighting. The MAX20096 and MAX20097 deliver ultra-fast transient response with near-fixed frequency with Maxim’s proprietary average current mode control scheme, minimizing EMI and enabling a reliable, high-performing design.
Key Advantages of MAX20092
- Integration: Reduces bill of materials (BOM) costs while saving space. Manages one to two LEDs per switch with 12-bit pulse-width modulation (PWM) dimming. Provides built-in logarithmic fade-in/fade-out capability that simplifies LED programmability and reduces taxation on system bus lines.
- High Performance and Safety: Low RDS_ON of 70 mohm safely enables LED current of up to 1.5A. Features advanced fault protection and management for open, short and open-trace LED detection. Offers continued operation through fail-safe mode.
- Flexibility: Can parallel up to 27 MAX20092 devices without daisy-chaining to manage large LED pixel count of up to 324 LEDs; allows designers to configure 1 string x 12 series switches, 2 strings x 6 series switches, and 4 strings x 3 series switches from each IC.
- Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Mitigation: Slew-rate control reduces EMI and noise
- "Although matrix LED headlights enhance safety, they were once exclusively for the premium auto sector, due to their complexity and high cost," said Kevin Mak, senior analyst for the Automotive Practice of Strategy Analytics. "Technology developments that enhance LED efficiency and performance will drive their greater adoption into automotive platforms. Maxim's MAX20092 is one of the solutions that aligns with greater adoption trends for LED lighting in automotive applications."
- "Maxim designed the MAX20092 to help developers who want to utilize more LEDs in their designs and reduce the BOM cost and design space for these solutions," said Yin Wu, business manager for the Automotive Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. "The safety and OEM branding value that LEDs present are compelling, and we enable their adoption in greater numbers through higher flexibility and reliability."
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX20092 is available at Maxim's website for $2.93 (1000-up, FOB USA)
- The MAX20092EVSYS evaluation kit includes a graphical user interface, matrix manager board and an LED adapter board featuring Osram Opto Semiconductors' Oslon Compact PL, KW CELNM1.TG, LED components, which are suitable for adaptive matrix style headlights
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more ›