- 93% to 96% Efficiency for 50mA to 3A Output Currents
- 4V to 15V Input Voltage Range
- Low 950µA Supply Current
- 1.4µA Shutdown Current
- Drives External N-Channel FETs
- Fixed-Frequency Current-Mode PWM (Heavy Loads)
- Idle-Mode PFM (Light Loads)
- Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limiting
- 2V ±1.5% Accurate Reference Output
- Adjustable Soft-Start
- Undervoltage Lockout
- Precision Comparator for Power-Fail or Low-Battery Warning
High efficiency is maintained with light loads due to a proprietary automatic pulse-skipping control (Idle-Mode) scheme that minimizes switching losses by reducing the switching frequency at light loads. The low 950µA quiescent current and ultra-low 1.4µA shutdown current further extend battery life.
External components are protected by the MAX746's cycle-by-cycle current limit. The MAX746 also features a 2V ±1.5% reference, a comparator for low-battery detection or level translating, and soft-start and shutdown capability.
The MAX747-discussed in a separate data sheet-functions similarly to the MAX746, but drives P-channel logic level FETs.