The MAX8887/MAX8888 low-dropout linear regulators operate from a 2.5V to 5.5V input and deliver up to 300mA continuous (500mA pulsed) current. The MAX8887 is optimized for low-noise operation, while the MAX8888 includes an open-drain power-OK (POK) ouput flag. Both regulators feature exceptionally low 100mV dropout at 200mA. These devices are available in a variety of preset output voltages in the 1.5V to 3.3V range.
An internal PMOS pass transistor allows the low 55µA supply current to remain independent of load, making these devices ideal for portable battery-powered equipment such as personal digital assistants (PDAs), cellular phones, cordless phones, and notebook computers. Other features include a micropower shutdown mode, short-circuit protection, thermal shutdown protection, and an active-low open-drain POK output that indicates when the output is out of regulation. The MAX8887/MAX8888 are available in a thin 5-pin SOT23 package that is only 1mm high.
- Guaranteed 300mA Output Current (500mA for Pulsed Loads)
- Low 100mV Dropout at 200mA Load
- POK Output (MAX8888)
- 42µVRMS Output Noise (MAX8887)
- Preset Output Voltages (1.5V, 1.8V, 2.85V, and 3.3V)
- 55µA No-Load Supply Current
- Thermal-Overload and Short-Circuit Protection
- Foldback Output Current-Limit Protection
- 60dB PSRR at 1kHz
- 0.1µA Shutdown Current
- Thin 5-Pin SOT23 Package, 1mm High
- Enables System Designers to Meet Stringent Module Requirements for 100μA Quiescent Current
- Tiny Output Capacitors Reduce Board Space and BOM Cost
- Accurate Active-Low RESET Output with Adjustable Delay Eliminates Need for Separate Reset IC