USB Detection with Smart Power Selector Li+ Chargers
Single-Chip Solution for USB Charging and Charger Detection
The MAX14746/MAX14747 are a series of USB charger detectors with an integrated Smart Power Selector™ linear charger solutions that provide a single-chip solution for charging and charger detection.
The MAX14746/MAX14747 charger detectors are compliant to USB Battery Charger Detection Rev 1.2* and capable of detecting multiple USB battery-charging methods, including Standard Downstream Ports (SDP), Charging Downstream Ports (CDP), and Dedicated Charger Ports (DCP). The devices also detect common proprietary charge adapters, including those from Apple.
The MAX14746/MAX14747 battery chargers feature Smart Power Selector operation, allowing operation with dead or no battery present. The devices limits USB VBUS current based on the detect charger source type. If the charger power source is unable to supply the entire system load, the smart-power control circuit supplements the system load with current from the battery.
The devices protect against overvoltage faults up to 28V.
This series of USB charger detectors are available with several options, with slight variations in, for example, power-up states. These variations are noted throughout this data sheet.
There are five options available with slight variations in, for example, power-up states. The devices are available in a 25-ball, 0.4mm pitch wafer-level package (WLP), and are specified over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.
- Flexible System Design to Operate with Any USB Charger Source
- Compliant to USB Battery Charger Rev 1.2 Specification
- Supports Proprietary USB Charging Sources, Including Apple
- D+/D- Bias Voltage Supported
- Easy to Implement Li+ Battery Charging
- Smart Power Selector
- Fully Compliant with Dead Battery/Weak Battery Charging According to USB 2.0 Specification
- JEITA Charge Protection
- Thermal Protection
- Internal USB D+/D- Switch to Manage Connection
- Integrates High Level of Protection
- 28V Tolerant Input on VB
- ±15kV Human Body Model ESD Protection on CDP and CDN
- Low Power Consumption
- Delivers USB Compliance and Flexibility
- Simplifies Complex System Designs
- Optimized Feature Set for Supercapacitor Charging
- Reliable Operation in Adverse Environmental Conditions
- Up to 16V Protection
- 13.7V Maximum Input Operating Voltage
- 3.15A Maximum Charging Current
- 3.5V to 23V Input Operating Range, 30VDC Withstand Voltage
- Reverse Leakage Protection
- 50mA to 3.15A Programmable Input Current Limit
- Battery Health + Programmable Safety/Protection
- ModelGauge m5 EZ Algorithm
- Precision Measurement Without Calibration