The MAX20044F evaluation kit (EV kit) circuit demonstrates the MAX20044F automotive USB protector switch IC, featuring overvoltage protection (OVP), electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, and undervoltage lockout (UVLO)/overcurrent protection (OCP) for automotive USB applications.
The IC protects the USB BUS, D+, and D- data lines from overvoltage conditions, such as a short-to-battery and ESD events. UVLO protects the BUS against low-voltage conditions such as a short-to-ground. The BUS OCP uses a blanking period allowing momentary BUS shorts to be ignored. All faults can be monitored using the active-low FAULT output signal.
The IC can pass high-speed USB differential (D+ and D-) signals up to 480Mbps and has a low 90mΩ RON(MAX) for the BUS and a 4Ω RON(TYP) for the D+ and D- lines. The EV kit is powered by the USB BUS. An onboard MAX15007A automotive regulator provides the IN reference voltage. The MAX20044F EV kit can also evaluate the MAX20042F and MAX20043F after IC replacement of U1.
- Protects USB BUS, D+, and D- Signals from Overvoltages Up to 18V and ESD Events
- USB BUS Undervoltage Lockout
- 1.3A (typ) USB BUS Overcurrent-Protection Threshold
- 1ms Overcurrent Blanking Time
- Passes 480Mbps USB Data Signals
- Low On-Resistance
- BUS: 0.14mΩ (max)
- D+ and D-: 4Ω (typ)
- Active-Low FAULT Output Signal
- USB Powered
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Evaluates the MAX20042F, MAX20043F, and MAX20044F ICs in a 16-Pin QSOP Package
- One-Chip Type-C Solution Directly from Car Battery to Portable Device
- Optimal USB Charging and Communication for Portable Devices
- Low-Noise Features Prevent Interference with AM Band and Portable Devices
- Customizable Firmware
- USB Type-C Support and USB-PD Support
- Supports BC1.2 Legacy/Proprietary Charger Detection