300MHz–960MHz ASK Transmitter with I2C Interface
High Output Power for Long Range, with Low Current Consumption - Fully Programmable at a Low Implementation Cost
The MAX41461/MAX41462 is a UHF sub-GHz ISM/SRD transmitter is designed to transmit On-Off Keying (OOK) or Amplitude-Shift Keying (ASK) data in the 286MHz to 960MHz frequency range. It integrates a fractional phase-locked-loop (PLL), so a single, low-cost crystal can be used to generate commonly used world-wide sub-GHz frequencies. The fast response time of the PLL allows for frequency-hopping spread spectrum protocols for increased range and security. The chip also features preset modes with pin-selectable frequencies so that only one wire is required for external microcontroller interface. The only frequency-dependent components required are for the external antenna matching network. Optionally, the device can be put into programmable mode and programmed using an I2C interface. The crystal-based architecture of the MAX41461/MAX41462 eliminates many of the common problems with SAW-based transmitters by providing greater modulation depth, faster frequency settling, higher tolerance of the transmit frequency, and reduced temperature dependence. A clock-out signal at 800kHz is also provided.
The MAX41461/MAX41462 provides output power up to +13dBm into a 50Ω load while drawing < 8mA (Manchester coded). The output load can be adjusted to increase power up to +16dBm, and a PA boost mode can be enabled at frequencies above 850MHz to compensate for losses. The PA output power can also be controlled using programmable register settings in I2C mode.
The MAX41461/MAX41462 also features single-supply operation from +1.8V to +3.6V. The device has an auto-shutdown feature to extend battery life and a fast oscillator wake-up with data activity detection.
The MAX41461/MAX41462 is available in a 10-pin μMAX package and is specified over the -40°C to +105°C extended temperature range. The MAX41461/MAX41462 has an ESD rating of 2.5kV HBM.
- Low Implementation Cost
- Bits-to-RF Single Wire Operation
- Low Bill-of-Materials (BOM)
- Uses Single, Low-Cost, 16MHz Crystal
- Small 3mm x 3mm μMAX-10 Package
- Increased Range, Data Rates, and Security
- Up to +16dBm PA Output Power
- Fast Frequency Switching for FHSS/DSSS
- Fast-On Oscillator: < 250μs Startup Time
- Up to 200kbps NRZ Data Rate
- Extend Battery Life with Low Supply Current
- < 8mA ASK Manchester Coded
- Selectable Standby and Shutdown Modes
- Auto Shutdown at < 20nA (typ) Current
- Ease of Use
- Pin Selectable 300MHz–928MHz Frequencies
- Pin Compatible ASK and FSK Versions
- +1.8V to +3.6V Single-Supply Operation
- Fully Programmable with 400kHz/1MHz I2C Interface
|Part Number||Band/ Freq.|
|Tx Output Power|
|MAX41461||300 to 960||16|
|1.8 to 3.6|
- 925MHz to 2175MHz Frequency Range
- Monolithic VCO
- High Dynamic Range: -75dBm to 0dBm