Ultra-Low Power, Single-Channel Integrated Biopotential HR Detection AFE
Ultra-Low Power, Single Channel Integrated Biopotential HR Detection AFE
The MAX30004 is a complete, biopotential, HR detection analog front-end solution for wearable applications, especially for chest straps and patches. It offers high performance for clinical and fitness applications, with ultra-low power for long battery life. The MAX30004 is a single biopotential channel providing R-R intervals for heart rate detection.
The biopotential channel has ESD protection, EMI filtering, internal lead biasing, DC leads-off detection, ultra-low power leads-on detection during standby mode, and extensive calibration voltages for built-in self-test. Soft power-up sequencing ensures no large transients are injected into the electrodes. The biopotential channel also has high input impedance, low noise, high CMRR, programmable gain, various low-pass and high-pass filter options, and a high-resolution analog-to-digital converter. The biopotential channel is DC coupled, can handle large electrode voltage offsets, and has a fast recovery mode to quickly recover from overdrive conditions, such as defibrillation and electrosurgery.
The MAX30004 is available in a 28-pin TQFN and 30-bump wafer-level package (WLP), operating over the 0°C to +70°C commercial temperature range.
- Heart Rate Detection with Interrupt Feature Eliminates the Need to Extract and Process the ECG Data on the Microcontroller
- Robust R-R Detection in High Motion Environment at Extremely Low Power
- Clinical-Grade Biopotential AFE with High-Resolution Data Converter
- 15.5 Bits Effective Resolution with 5µVP-P Noise
- Better Dry Starts Due to Much Improved Real World CMRR and High Input Impedance
- Fully Differential Input Structure with CMRR > 100dB
- Offers Better Common-Mode to Differential Mode Conversion Due to High Input Impedance
- High Input Impedance > 500MΩ for Extremely Low Common-to-Differential Mode Conversion
- Minimum Signal Attenuation at the Input During Dry Start Due to High Electrode Impedance
- High DC Offset Range of ±650mV (1.8V, typ) Allows to Be Used with Wide Variety of Electrodes
- High AC Dynamic Range of 65mVP-P Will Help the AFE Not Saturate in the Presence of Motion/Direct Electrode Hits
- Longer Battery Life Compared to Competing Solutions
- 85µW at 1.1V Supply Voltage
- Leads-On Interrupt Feature Keeps µC in Deep Sleep Mode with RTC Off Until Valid Lead Condition is Detected
- Lead-On Detect Current: 0.7µA (typ)
- Configurable Interrupts Allows the µC Wake-Up Only on Every Heart Beat Reducing the Overall System Power
- High-Speed SPI Interface
- Shutdown Current of 0.5µA (typ)
- 16 Full Channels of Input Coupling Caps, LNA, VGA, AAF, CWD Mixers, 14-bit ADC, Bypassable Digital HPF, and Digital Mix to Baseband.
- Ultra-Low Full-Channel Receiver Noise Figure of 2.4dB at RIN = RS = 200Ω.
- High Dynamic Range Receiver with 81dBFS SNR at FIN = 5MHz and 2MHz Bandwidth.
- Complete Dual-Channel Optical Data-Acquisition System
- Excellent Top-End Dynamic Range > 91dB in White Card Loop-Back Test (Nyquist Sample-to-Sample Variance)
- Extended Dynamic Range up to 110dB (Averaging and Off-Chip Filtering)