Maxim Integrated’s Single-Chip RTD-to-Digital Converter Reduces Costs by 50%
Industry's first highly integrated solution combines all circuitry needed to convert an RTD's resistance into digital form.
San Jose, CA—September 20, 2012—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announces the industry's first fully integrated RTD-to-digital converter, a single-chip solution that replaces several discrete components to lower costs by up to 50%. The MAX31865 offers simple and accurate measurement of temperature, the most commonly measured physical quantity in the industrial space, making it ideal for use in measurement and process control applications. Until now, there was no single-chip resistance temperature detector (RTD) digitizer on the market.
The MAX31865 simply and elegantly solves the common industrial design problem of digitizing a platinum RTD (such as a Pt100 or Pt1000) resistance, protects against ±50V input overvoltages, and detects sensor and cable faults. In addition, the device simplifies resistance measurement by eliminating the precisely matched current sources used for 3-wire sensor connections in conventional designs. The built-in overvoltage protection (OVP) also eliminates the need for external protection circuitry, which lowers cost, reduces board space, and increases factory uptime.
Availability and Pricing
- High ±0.5°C accuracy helps designers meet error budgets
- Improved reliability and cost savings associated with replacing multiple components, including a high-resolution analog-to-digital converter (ADC), a protected analog switch, and a variety of op amps and comparators
- Smaller form factor, lower heat dissipation, and up to 50% lower system cost
- Automatic detection of open and shorted sensor conditions, input overvoltage, cable shorts, and open circuits
About Maxim Integrated
- Limited sampling now; available mid-November
- Available in a 20-pin TQFN package (5mm x 5mm)
- Pricing starts at $3.00 (1000-up, FOB USA)
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
|Contact: ||Ferda Millan|
|Additional Information: ||MAX31865|
|High-resolution images: ||Download RGB: (TIF.ZIP) |
Download CMYK: (PDF)