New "Fit" Shirt Monitors Vital Signs and Delivers Continuous, Real-time Physical Data for Immediate Medical Diagnosis
Vital signs monitoring shirt enables patient monitoring and lowers the cost of medical diagnoses.
[High-resolution images: ]
Maxim Integrated collaborates with Clearbridge VitalSigns and Orbital Research to produce a reference design for a highly integrated, telehealth fitness ("Fit") shirt that enables patient monitoring and lowers the cost of medical diagnoses.
San Jose, CA—September 20, 2012—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) announces a new vital signs monitoring fit shirt that enables medical professionals to perform frequent and less costly fitness monitoring that will lead to more effective preventive medical care. The highly integrated shirt measures 3-lead ECG, body temperature, and motion. All diagnostic tools are packaged in a shirt that is comfortable to wear.
The new "Fit" shirt integrates dry ECG sensor technology, complex signal processing technology, temperature sensor, motion sensor, an ultra-low-power microcontroller, and wireless electronics. The design is the result of the combined experience, expertise, and inventive synergies from three collaborating companies, Maxim Integrated, Clearbridge VitalSigns, and Orbital Research. The shirt represents a new era in preventive medical care that could reduce health care costs by up to 10x.
Key Contributions from Maxim
Key Contributions from Clearbridge VitalSigns
- The ultra-low power MAXQ622 microcontroller for easy-to-use and easy-to-program interfacing of multiple technologies.
- The MAX8671 power-management IC that delivers quiet supplies and efficient switching to the various sensors.
- The MAX6656 ultra-low-power temperature sensor that enables plug-and-play integration into the system.
- The MAX3204 USB protector that ensures safe handling and removed shock and ESD hazard from the electronics.
Key Contributions from Orbital Research
- The ultra-low-power, multichannel CBVS1202 ECG-on-a-chip for an extended period of 3-lead ECG data acquisition.
- Clearbridge VitalSign's advanced motion artifact rejection algorithms effectively separates the ECG signal from the noise. This solves the mechanical challenges of making the shirt comfortable for almost any shaped wearer while ensuring good electrode placement and good quality signals.
- Clearbridge VitalSign's innovative 3-lead ultra-thin CardioLeaf® housing design
- Fully integrated GUI application on desktop and mobile device.
- Patented and FDA cleared dry electrodes enable the capture of all the nuances of ECG waveform morphology with no discomfort to the wearer of the shirt. The dry electrodes do not require skin preparation or adhesives which allows reading continuous clinical-grade ECG signals from the host wearer for extended periods of wear.
About Maxim Integrated
- "The market for wearable devices will reach more than 100 million units annually by 2016.... These devices...will all enable greater detail in tracking, monitoring, and care—often through connections provided by mobile phones." ABI Research, 17 Aug. 2011, www.abiresearch.com/press/wearable-wireless-medical-devices-to-top-100-milli
- "Maxim is working through business relationships with companies like Clearbridge VitalSigns and Orbital Research to enable new integrated solutions that are already advancing new techniques of medical delivery," said Chris Neil, Senior Vice President for Maxim.
- "At Clearbridge VitalSigns, we are committed to building the next generation ultra-thin, ultra-light and ultra-comfortable, extended-use vital sign medical devices, leveraging our proprietary integrated biomedical chip design. We are delighted to be able to work alongside Maxim on this project," said Johnson Chen, Managing Director for Clearbridge VitalSigns.
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
About Orbital Research, Inc.
Orbital Research develops and commercializes new and innovative custom-engineered solutions using our expertise in sensors, actuators and electronics for various commercial and military applications. We promote and offer solutions designed to improve the performance, functionality, and cost-effectiveness of our customer's products. Furthermore, we host and support research organizations and corporations through scientific and technological developments.
About Clearbridge VitalSigns
Clearbridge VitalSigns is a National University of Singapore spin-off company that is developing the CardioLeaf® digital plaster product line. The CardioLeaf® is a comfortable, fully integrated, ultra-thin, ultra-low power, multi-channel (up to 12-lead), extended wear medical device to monitor human vital signs. The Company leverages on innovative and proprietary technologies from our research partners in Singapore. Clearbridge VitalSign is an incubatee of Clearbridge Accelerator, a Singapore government co-funded medical technology incubator. For more information visit www.clearbridgevitalsigns.com
|Contact: ||Ferda Millan|
|High-resolution images: ||Download RGB: (TIF.ZIP) |
Download CMYK: (PDF)